Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

27.3.12

Artefact

This morning, I saw that a book I had been reading and left out was sitting on a table with perfect light on it. In that moment, I had the idea to make some photos of some of my favorite things in my apartment in that light. Unfortunately, as I didn't work quick enough and the light changed before I got a chance to take many photos. Still, I turned on a light and finished the job.



This is partially one of the favorite things in my apartment because of the story behind it. I was told to read it by a friend of Mariel's after visiting his apartment some time around 5 AM. The spontaneity of the event combined with the interesting content of the book makes me particularly interested in it.


Have I written about this before? Its possible, it seems a familiar subject. Either way, this Operation Doomsday re-release from Stones Throw was a gift for my birthday this past year. MF Doom being my favorite rapper, and Operation Doomsday my favorite of his solo albums, any copy of this album on vinyl would be prized to me. It is only made better by the alternate cuts included in this release, as well as the amazing packaging that it comes in.


I found this book of matches in the street one day and liked the design so much I decided to take them. I took a picture of them when I first found them and put it on my photo journal, Mindless Carbonation. I wanted to take a picture of the whole outer wrapping at once, but they've been folded for so long that making the package lie flat is impossible. There was once a name on the inside, but it is gone at this point, so I'll probably never know the source of the book. I like that though, my mysterious, strangely artful book of matches.


Every year I attend a Channukah party at which these glasses are distributed. Although they may not have been procured at one, they are generally referred to as my prize bar mitazvah glasses. This is probably the most fun item on this list. When wearing them, the lenses cause the light to diffract, forming a Star of David around any concentrated source of light. You can see an example of them in action below.



I don't know where this last item came from. It provokes a lot of questions that I'm completely unable to answer. It appears to be the smallest from a set of matryoshka dolls, with the word "Malevitch" hand painted on the outside. Where did it come from? What did the other dolls in this set look like? Who or what is Malevitch? Things I'll never know I guess...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

blog archive

followers

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Dress Me Mag
Follow dressmemag on Twitter Follow dressmemag on Tumblr

Back to TOP