Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

4.4.12

Plexiglass Playtime

Top: Rag & Bone // Cardigan: Marc Jacobs // Bottoms: Current/Elliott // Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs //

When making thoughtless purchases while shopping for clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. it is not often that I find myself buying something just because I feel like it. However, when it comes to stores full of supplies, materials, tools, and organizational tools is a completely different story. Those are the places where my sense of reason seems to fail me and instead is replaced with thoughts of every project that I could possibly do. Usually I can shake it but if I see something that I honestly think will make me more productive or organized, or that will make my living or working spaces more organized than my dreams of becoming Martha Stewart level organized can get the best of me. This was almost the cases on Monday when Jordan and I braved the extremely crowded China Town to go to a store on Canal St., which is appropriately named Canal Plastics.

In my opinion it should be called 'Plexiglass Playtime' or 'Designer Plexiglass/Acetate Jewelry is Overpriced & Will Scratch' or even 'You Paid More Than $100 for That? We Will Make it for $2 but You Will Not Get a Bag to Carry it in'... seriously, your plexi crystal dreams can come true here. In fact, buy a pair of pliers and some jewelry findings and you can DIY something similar to Miu Miu, buy some ribbon and you can DIY something similar to a necklace from Marni, or you can buy some adhesive and rhinestones and you have a DIY version of a Pucci bangle. I should warn you though that the store is a serious trap if you are like me and get tempted by industrial supplies. In my defense, you may think that plastic is irrelevant to you now but just wait until you are faced with a selection of plastic in every color, opacity, reflectiveness, size, thickness, shape, etc. that you can imagine. I have a feeling you too will find yourself realizing that you do in fact need the largest sheet of 1/4 inch of onyx black plexiglass that they have once you get inside.

I did not end up getting that (although I wanted to), but I was tempted by all of the $1 square swatches of different colored plexi, which are conveniently located in the front of the store. While holding about five different colored squares, I realized that I was being ridiculous and I decided to put them back and make my way to the dimly lit aisles in the back of the store. After getting what I was looking for I headed to the front and checked out before I was tempted with anymore unplanned plastic decisions. When we were finally out of the store we noticed that the lovely weather that we experienced on the way there had decided to check out as well and instead we wandered back through a cold Soho and through somewhat disorienting gusts of wind. The rest of the night was spent sorting out the work for the week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

blog archive

followers

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Dress Me Mag
Follow dressmemag on Twitter Follow dressmemag on Tumblr

Back to TOP